Brand: CANEX ® Puppy Suspension
PARASITES CONTROLLED* (spectrum of activity):
- Roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum, Ancylostoma braziliense, Uncinaria stenocephala)
- 1 ml suspension per kg bw (equivalent to 14.3 mg/kg pyrantel embonate).
* Can be slightly different in some countries: read the product label!
- LD50 (acute oral) in rats: n.a. for the tablets. >5000 mg/kg for pyrantel
- Estimated Hazard Class according to the WHO: not applicable for veterinary medicines
Suspected poisoning? Read the article on pyrantel safety.
You may be interested in the following articles in this site dealing with the general safety of veterinary products:
- Safety for humans
- Safety for domestic animals
- Safety for the environment
- Hazard classifications of pesticides
Risk of resistance development? YES, but rather low in Ancylostoma caninum.
Alternatives to prevent resistance through product rotation:
- Macrocyclic lactones (e.g. milbemycin oxime, selamectin)
- Imidazothiazoles (levamisole)
Are the active ingredients of this product ORIGINAL* or GENERICS**?
- Pyrantel: GENERIC (introduced in the 1960s)
*Meaning that they are still patent protected and generics are not yet available
**Meaning that they have lost patent protection and may be acquired from manufacturers of generic active ingredients other than the holder of the original patent.
COUNTRIES where this product is marketed: AUSTRALIA
GENERIC BRANDS available? YES, in many countries.
Click here to learn more about GENERIC vs. ORIGINAL drugs.
CANEX Puppy Suspension is a chocolate flavoured puppy wormer from ZOETIS effective against roundworms and hookworms.
Pyrantel is a narrow-spectrum anthelmintic belonging to the chemical class of the tetrahydropyrimidines that was introduced in the 1960s (by PFIZER → ZOETIS). It is effective against roundworms and a few tapeworms (depending on the dose) in the gut, but not against those in other organs (e.g. the lungs, the skin, etc). It controls the most important dog worms such as the roundworms Toxocara canis and Toxascaris leonina, the hookworms Ancylostoma caninum and Uncinaria stenocephala. It is used a lot in pets and horses but rarely in livestock. There are dozens of products for pets with generic pyrantel.
Pyrantel has no residual effect, i.e. it acts against the worms during a few hours after administration but is quickly metabolized and excreted. For this reason treatment must often be repeated for certain indications.
For an overview and a list of the most popular pet wormers click here.
This article IS NOT A PRODUCT LABEL. It offers complementary information that may be useful to veterinary professionals and users that are not familiar with veterinary antiparasitics.
Information offered in this article has been extracted from publications issued by manufacturers, government agencies (e.g. EMEA, FDA, USDA, etc.) or in the scientific literature. No guarantee is given on its accuracy, integrity, sufficiency, actuality and opportunity, and any liability is denied. Read the site's DISCLAIMER.
In case of doubt contact the manufacturer or a veterinary professional.