Brand: ECOMECTIN ® 0.6% PIG PREMIX
Company: ECO ANIMAL HEALTH
PARASITES CONTROLLED* (spectrum of activity)
* Country-specific differences may apply: read the product label
- Gastrointestinal roundworms: Ascaris suum (adults and L4 larvae), Red stomach worm Hyostrongylus rubidus (adults and L4 larvae), Nodular worm Oesophagostomum spp. (adults and L4 larvae), Threadworm Strongyloides ransomi (adults and somatic larvae).
- Lungworms: Metastrongylus spp (adults).
- Lice: Haematopinus suis.
- Mange mites: Sarcoptes scabiei var. suis.
- The product given to pregnant sows before farrowing effectively controls transmission via the milk of S. ransomi to piglets.
*Can be slightly different in some countries: read the product label!
- The recommended dose level is 0.1 mg ivermectin/kg bodyweight fed daily for seven consecutive days.
- Read the product label for dosing details.
- LD50 (acute oral) in rats: ~4167 mg/kg (estimate according to WHO 2009 recommendation)
- Estimated hazard class according to the WHO: not applicable for veterinary medicines
Suspected poisoning? Read the article on ivermectin safety in this site.
Withholding period for meat (country-specific differences may apply: read the product label)
- Swine: UK 12 days
WARNING !!!: Never use on humans, dogs and cats
- Safety for humans
- Safety for domestic animals
- Safety for the environment
- Hazard classifications of pesticides
Risk of resistance? NO
Resistance of gastrointestinal roundworms to ivermectin has not been reported yet in swine, in contrast with sheep, goats, cattle and horses, where it is very frequent worldwide.
This means that if this product does not achieve the expected efficacy against the mentioned parasites, it is likely to be due to incorrect use not to resistance
- Benzimidazoles, e.g. albendazole, febantel, fenbendazole, oxfendazole, etc. Similar or even worse resistance problems than macrocyclic lactones
- Imidazothiazoles, mainly levamisole. etc. Similar or even worse resistance problems than macrocyclic lactones
- Tetrahydropyrimidines, e.g. morantel, pyrantel (limited spectrum of activity)
These alternative products may not be available in all countries, or may not be available as injectables.
Although strictly speaking it is not yet needed, it may be advisable to rotate occasionally.
Are the active ingredients of this product ORIGINAL* or GENERICS**?
**Meaning that they have lost patent protection and may be acquired from manufacturers of generic active ingredients other than the holder of the original patent.
COUNTRIES where this product is marketed: UK, Ireland and other EU countries
GENERIC BRANDS available? YES, numerous.
Click here to learn more about GENERIC vs. ORIGINAL drugs.
Click here for an overview on the most used antiparasitic feed additives and medicated feeds for livestock and horses.
ECOMECTIN PREMIX from ECO ANIMAL HEALTH is one of the numberless generic brands with ivermectin.
The original brand, IVOMEC PREMIX, was introduced by MERIAL in the 1980s as a specific oral formulation of ivermectin for swine.
Ivermectin was the first macrocyclic lactone discovered and introduced in the 1980s by MS&D AgVet. It is the parasiticide for livestock and pets most widely used worldwide, with probably thousands of generic brands. Ivermectin is probably the best veterinary parasiticide ever developed, highly effective against roundworms as well as against numerous external parasites (ticks, flies, lice, mites, etc.). As all macrocyclic lactones, ivermectin used alone is ineffective against tapeworms and flukes, regardless of the delivery form.
In case of doubt contact the manufacturer or a veterinary professional