Brand: EQUITAPE ® 90 MG/G ORAL GEL FOR HORSES
Company: MSD ANIMAL HEALTH
PARASITES CONTROLLED* (spectrum of activity)
* Country-specific differences may apply: read the product label.
*Can be slightly different in some countries: read the product label!
- 1 mg praziquantel/kg bw
- One 6.67 g syringe contains sufficient gel to treat one 600 kg horse at the recommended dose rate.
- Each graduation on the calibrated syringe delivers sufficient gel to treat 50 kg bodyweight.
- LD50 (acute oral) in rats: >5000 mg/kg (estimate calculated according to the WHO based on the ivermectin LD50)
- Estimated hazard class according to the WHO: not applicable for veterinary medicines
Suspected poisoning? Read the articles on praziquantel safety in this site.
Withholding periods (=withdrawal times) for meat & milk (country-specific differences may apply: read the product label)
- MEAT & OFFAL: UK: 0 days;
- MILK: Do not use in animals producing milk for human consumption
WARNING !!!: Never use on humans, dogs or cats
You may be interested in the following articles in this site dealing with the general safety of veterinary products:
- Safety for humans
- Safety for domestic animals
- Safety for the environment
- Hazard classifications of pesticides
Risk of resistance? Low
There are so far no reports on resistance of horse tapeworms to praziquantel.
Are the active ingredients of this product ORIGINAL* or GENERICS**?
*Meaning that they are still patent protected and generics are not yet available
**Meaning that they have lost patent protection and may be acquired from manufacturers of generic active ingredients other than the holder of the original patent.
COUNTRIES where this product is marketed: UK and other EU countries.
GENERIC BRANDS available? YES, but not too many
Click here to learn more about GENERIC vs. ORIGINAL drugs.
EQUITAPE oral paste for horses is a horse wormer from MSD ANIMAL HEALTHL with generic praziquantel.
Praziquantel is a veteran anthelmintic introduced in the 1970s (by BAYER). It is highly effective against tapeworms (in horses mainly Anoplocephala spp) but has no efficacy whatsoever against roundworms. It is the anthelmintic most vastly used against tapeworms in horses and pets, used in hundreds of brands. It is hardly used in livestock. Praziquantel has no residual effect, i.e. it kills the parasites after administration but does not protect them against reinfestation.
For an overview and a list of the most used oral paste & gel brands click here.
This article IS NOT A PRODUCT LABEL. It offers complementary information that may be useful to veterinary professionals and users that are not familiar with veterinary antiparasitics.
Information offered in this article has been extracted from publications issued by manufacturers, government agencies (e.g. EMEA, FDA, USDA, etc.) or in the scientific literature. No guarantee is given on its accuracy, integrity, sufficiency, actuality and opportunity, and any liability is denied. Read the site's DISCLAIMER.
In case of doubt contact the manufacturer or a veterinary professional.