Thanks for your visit!
The purpose of this reference website is to offer information on the biology and control of parasites of dogs, cats, horses and livestock (mainly cattle, sheep, swine & poultry).
The site targets animal health professionals (producers, farmers, technicians, distributors of veterinary products, vet pharmacists, etc.) as well as dog, cat and horse owners that want to know more about parasites in order to better understand what plays a role when dealing with parasites, and what can contribute to solve a problem.
Consequently I have tried to focus on practical issues and to avoid too academic topics and language. Nevertheless, a reasonable understanding of basic parasite biology (insects, worms, etc.) and parasiticide chemistry is highly useful.
The information offered in this site is the result of more than 30 years professional experience in Animal Health research, development, marketing and technical support in over 50 countries all around the world, and of a hell of lot of hours writing it down.
New articles in English are published periodically.
The amount of information available in the web is enormous, also about the biology and control of veterinary parasites. And it grows continuously. There are sites with much more information than this site, especially on the biological aspects of parasites. However, it is often just too much for non-specialists. And this information is often scattered in many sites of variable structure and availability, and is not always regularly update according to the newest discoveries or technical developments.
With this site I pretend to gather in one place as much relevant information as possible on parasites of dogs, cats, horses and livestock. To keep it as simple as possible. And to updated it regularly, especially what has to do with parasite control.
I started this site under the name www.parasitosdelganado.net in 2007 in Spanish -my mother language- as a weekend hobby. It still remains a hobby, but a rather dominant one. The English section came later to make the site available to a broader audience. The articles in English are translations from the Spanish ones, but often adapted to the different audience, and may include specific information for some English speaking countries. Click here if you wish to visit the Spanish part of the site.
English not being my mother language, I apologize for mistakes and incorrect grammar. I hope that what you get here is nevertheless more palatable than the automatic translations by Google or similar services.
I am grateful for any suggestion to improve or complete the site, as well as for reports on content errors or display bugs.
Pablo Junquera, Dr. sc. nat. ETH
I am especially grateful to:
- Marcelo Campos Pereira, from the University of Sao Paulo, for allowing me to reproduce some of his excellent pictures from his personal website.
- Jacques Bouvier and Angela Marmy, from the Centre de Recherches Agricoles, Novartis Santé Animale, St- Aubin, Switzerland, for supplying me with many parasites for photography. Unfortunatly, this research center was closed after ELANCO'S acquisition of NOCARTIS AH.
- Johannes Kaufmann (author) and Birkhäuser Verlag (publisher) for their permission to reproduce pictures from their excelent work "Parasitic Infections of Domestic Animals", 1996.
- 1972-1977: Master in Biology: Universities of Pamplona (Spain) and Fribourg (Switzerland)
- 1977-1982: Ph.D at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich (ETHZ) (Switzerland)
- 1982-1985: Researcher at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zürich (ETHZ) (Switzerland)
- 1985-1987: Research Assistant for Parasiticide Screening and Pre-clinical Development at Ciba-Geigy Animal Health, Centre de Recherches Agricoles, St-Aubin (Switzerland)
- 1987-1991: Head of Parasiticide Screening and Pre-clinical Development at Ciba-Geigy Animal Health, Centre de Recherches Agricoles, St-Aubin (Switzerland)*
- 1991-1998: International Product Manager for Livestock Parasiticides at Ciba-Geigy - Novartis*
- Since 1998: Animal Health Consultant (customers: Novartis, Intervet, Syngenta, Ivorychem, ACA, Vencofarma, Animal-Pharm, Elanco, etc.)
*If you have time and are interested in "real stories" behind the scenes, you can visit the following articles in this site about the discovery and development of: