Brand: ONE DOSE ® WORMER
FORMULATION: «tablets» for oral administration;
ACTIVE INGREDIENT(S): NITROSCANATE 100 and 500 mg/tablets
CHEMICAL CLASS of the active ingredient(s): ISOTHIOCYANATE
PARASITES CONTROLLED* (spectrum of activity):
- Roundworms (Toxocara canis, Toxascaris leonina), hookworms (Ancylostoma caninum, Uncinaria stenocephala).
- Tapeworms (Dipylidium caninum, Taenia hydatigena, Taenia ovis Taenia pisiformis).
- Dogs: minimum of 50 mg/kg bw, which is equivalent to 1 x 100 mg tablet per 2 kg (4.4 lb) bw for small dogs and puppies; or 1 x 500 mg tablet per 10 kg (22 lb) bw for dogs >6 kg bw.
- For best results give the product together with about one-fifth of the daily food ration in the morning when the dog’s stomach is empty. Give the remaining food ration in the evening. The tablets should be given whole.
* Can be slightly different in some countries: read the product label!
- LD50 (acute oral) in rats: >5000 mg/kg for the active ingredient.
- Estimated Hazard Class according to the WHO: not applicable for veterinary medicines
It is known that nitroscanate can cause vomit after administration, but other wormers have similar side effects.
Suspected poisoning? Read the articles on nitroscanate safety in this site.
You may be interested in the following articles in this site dealing with the general safety of veterinary products:
- Safety for humans
- Safety for domestic animals
- Safety for the environment
- Hazard classifications of pesticides
Risk of resistance development? NO
There are no reports on resistance of dog worms to nitroscanate more than 40 years after its introduction.
Learn more about resistance and how it develops.
Are the active ingredients of this product ORIGINAL* or GENERICS**?
- Nitroscanate: GENERIC (introduced in the 1970s)
*Meaning that they are still patent protected and generics are not yet available
**Meaning that they have lost patent protection and may be acquired from manufacturers of generic active ingredients other than the holder of the original patent.
COUNTRIES where this product is marketed: UK.
GENERIC BRANDS available? YES, in some countries. This product is itself a generic version of LOPATOL (introduced by CIBA-GEIGY).
Click here to learn more about GENERIC vs. ORIGINAL drugs.
ONE DOSE WORMER is a dog wormer from BEAPHAR containing nitroscanate, a generic version of ELANCO's LOPATOL.
Nitroscanate is a broad-spectrum anthelmintic effective against gastrointestinal roundworms and tapeworms introduced in the late 1970s ((by CIBA-GEIGY → NOVARTIS → ELANCO). Use in dogs is moderate to low, particularly after the introduction of more modern dog wormers in the last two decades. It is neither used in livestock, nor in agriculture.
For an overview and a list of the most popular pet wormers click here.
This article IS NOT A PRODUCT LABEL. It offers complementary information that may be useful to veterinary professionals and users that are not familiar with veterinary antiparasitics.
Information offered in this article has been extracted from publications issued by manufacturers, government agencies (e.g. EMEA, FDA, USDA, etc.) or in the scientific literature. No guarantee is given on its accuracy, integrity, sufficiency, actuality and opportunity, and any liability is denied. Read the site's DISCLAIMER.
In case of doubt contact the manufacturer or a veterinary professional.