Brand: AVIVERM ™
DELIVERY FORM: «additives and medicated feeds» for oral administration with drinking water.
ACTIVE INGREDIENT(S): levamisole hydrochloride: 240 g/L (=24%)
CHEMICAL CLASS of the active ingredient(s): imidazothiazole
INDICATIONS: POULTRY (Fowls, Turkeys, Ducks, Cage birds & Pigeons)
PARASITES CONTROLLED* (spectrum of activity)
- Large Roundworms (Ascaridia galli)
- Caecal Worm (Heterakis gallinarum)
- Hairworm (Capillaria spp)
* Country-specific differences may apply: read the product label.
- 1 mL product per 9 kg body weight, equivalent to ~26.7 mg levamisole hydrochloride per kg body weight.
- Estimate the number of birds served by each tank and also their average weight.
- Using these figures, estimate the total live weight.
- Now estimate how much product is requierd at a dose of 1 mL per 9 kg live weight.
- Add this quantity of product to the drinking water - ensure sufficient water is available for hours normal consumption.
Read the product label for further details on dosing.
- LD50 (acute oral) in rats: 180 mg/kg (for the a.i.)
- LD50 (acute dermal) in rats: n.a.
Suspected poisoning? Read the article on levamisole safety in this site.
Withholding periods (=withdrawal times)
- Meat: New Zealand: 7 days
- Eggs: New Zealand: 6 days
WARNING !!!: Never use on humans, dogs or cats
You may be interested in the following articles in this site dealing with the general safety of veterinary products:
- Safety for humans
- Safety for domestic animals
- Safety for the environment
- Hazard classifications of pesticides
Risk of resistance? LOW
So far there are no reports on resistance of poultry roundworms to anthelmintics.
This means that if this product does not achieve the expected efficacy against the mentioned parasites, it is likely to be due to incorrect use, which is usually the most frequent cause of product failure, and not to resistance.
Learn more about resistance and how it develops.
Are the active ingredients of this product ORIGINAL* or GENERICS**?
*Meaning that they are still patent protected and generics are not yet available
**Meaning that they have lost patent protection and may be acquired from manufacturers of generic active ingredients other than the holder of the original patent.
COUNTRIES where this brand/product is marketed: New Zealand
GENERIC BRANDS available? Yes, in most countries, perhaps not with the same composition.
Click here to learn more about GENERIC vs. ORIGINAL drugs.
Click here for an overview on the most used antiparasitic feed additives and medicated feeds for livestock and horses.
This product is a classic oral anthelmintic for poultry from JAYCHEM containing generic levamisole.
Levamisole is a veteran anthelmintic. It was introduced by JANSSEN already in the 1960s (NILVERM, RIPERCOL). It has a broad-spectrum of activity against roundworms (gastrointestinal and pulmonary) but no efficacy whatsoever against tapeworms and flukes. It is also completely ineffective against external parasites of livestock (ticks, flies, lice, mites, etc). Levamisole has been used massively worldwide in countless generic formulations for livestock. It still remains one of the most preferred low-cost anthelmintics for livestock worldwide. Usage in pets or horses is rather scarce. It is not used in agriculture.
As many other anthelmintics (e.g. benzimidazoles, tetrahydropyrimidines) levamisole administered orally has no residual effect, i.e. it kills the parasites shortly after administration, but does not significantly protect the animals against re-infestation by infective stages in their environment.
This article IS NOT A PRODUCT LABEL. It offers complementary information that may be useful to veterinary professionals and users that are not familiar with veterinary antiparasitics.
Information offered in this article has been extracted from publications issued by manufacturers, government agencies (e.g. EMEA, FDA, USDA, etc.) or in the scientific literature. No guarantee is given on its accuracy, integrity, sufficiency, actuality and opportunity, and any liability is denied. Read the site's DISCLAIMER.
In case of doubt contact the manufacturer or a veterinary professional.